The UAMS Translational Research Institute’s Seventh Annual Community Partner Celebration recently honored 35 community partners for their crucial work in improving the health of all Arkansans and their exceptional partnerships with UAMS.
Held Nov. 8 at the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center in downtown Little Rock, this year’s celebration included a recognition ceremony and dinner, live music, display boards commending the vital services of the nominated community partners, and locally sourced gift bags for the over 100 attendees. The event was organized by the institute’s Community Engagement Program.
Nicki Spencer, program manager for the Community Engagement Program, opened the celebration followed by Dawna Baker, the museum’s program assistant, who shared the historical significance of the celebration’s location.
UAMS Chancellor Cam Patterson, M.D., MBA, thanked the attendees for helping UAMS address serious health disparities in Arkansas. He cited program examples created by and for the community including the institute’s Community Scientist Academy.
“Your insights infuse and enrich the work we are able to do to improve health care outcomes here in Arkansas,” Patterson said. “These acknowledgements come from the heart. They come from the sense that we would not be able to fulfill our mission to the state without the work that you do.”
The community partners recognized at this year’s celebration were:
- Allstate Insurance – Southern Region
- Apple Seeds Inc.
- Arkansas Bank of America
- Arkansas Birthing Project
- Arkansas Community Health Worker’s Association
- Arkansas Department of Health – Family Health Branch
- Arkansas Department of Education – Special Education
- Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care
- Arkansas Rehabilitation Services
- Arkansas STEM Coalition
- Arkansas Transgender Equality Coalition
- Boys, Girls, Adults Community Development Center
- Linda Young, Little Rock School District
- Annice Steadman, Little Rock School District
- Terry Zuerlein, M.D.
- Kristi Palmer, M.D.
- Sameer Wagle, M.D.