Health Sciences Innovation and Entrepreneurship (HSIE) Training Program for Postdoctoral Fellows
Request for Applications
The UAMS Translational Research Institute (TRI) is pleased to invite full applications for the 2021 TL1 Health Sciences Innovation and Entrepreneurship (HSIE) Training Program, which is a component of the Clinical and Translational Science Award. This two-year graduate certificate program will start on July 1, 2021 and provides support for four postdoctoral fellows. Applications from all UAMS Colleges are welcome. Fellows in their first three years of postdoctoral training, or recent PhD or MD/PhD graduates entering postdoctoral training, are eligible. The new HSIE Postdoctoral Scholars will have a primary research mentor, while obtaining value-added training in business principles, entrepreneurial skills, team science, and strategies to innovate and commercialize health care technologies. The program is a partnership between the TRI and the Entrepreneurship Graduate Program in the Sam M. Walton College of Business at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. The goal of the HSIE Training Program is to broaden a scholar’s vision of using entrepreneurship principles and team science to accelerate the biomedical discoveries into improved health outcomes in academic settings, and also offer nontraditional training to enhance readiness for industry, government, and other nonacademic jobs.
HSIE Trainees will receive:
- Stipend support (including fringe) at the NIH funding level for two years
- Tuition and fees for a 15-credit Graduate Certificate in Health Science Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Non-stipend support, which can be used for insurance, computer software, and classroom supplies
- A travel allowance to attend a national meeting or symposium related to health sciences innovation and entrepreneurship sponsored by scientific societies, industry, or other CTSA sites.
- Friday, February 26, 2021 (noon): Please RSVP to Pamela Kahler (email@example.com) Zoom Link: Meeting ID: 835 8098 9812, Passcode 950047 https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83580989812?pwd=dVozRWxnVjZWcVN2ZU5OK1QzYTd2QT09
- March 15, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.: Applications Due
- April 1, 2021: Awardees Notified
- July 1, 2021: Trainee Start Date
- A postdoctoral fellow in Years 1-3 of post-graduate training may apply, including recent PhD or MD/PhD graduates entering postdoctoral training who have identified a primary research mentor.
- Candidate must be a S. citizen, non-citizen national or permanent resident. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible.
- The HSIE Postdoctoral Training Program welcomes and encourages members of under-represented minority groups, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from NIH-defined disadvantaged backgrounds to apply.
Applications should include the following components arranged in the specified order and page numbered sequentially.
- A short cover letter requesting consideration for the TL1 HSIE Training Program which includes: (1) a statement outlining your interest in the HSIE Training Program, (2) previous experience with entrepreneurial endeavors, if any, and (3) a short summary of 1-3 innovative or entrepreneurial ideas the applicant would like to pursue during this training period (the project will be selected by the program faculty). Ideas relating to rural health or the health of underserved populations are particularly encouraged. (three page maximum)
- A copy of your NIH formatted biosketch. A sample and form is available online at https://grants.nih.gov/grants/forms/biosketch.htm. Please include academic and publication records.
- Two letters of recommendation:
- Letter and NIH biosketch from primary research mentor. This letter should detail his/her support of and commitment to the applicant’s participation in the training program. This letter must include the mentor’s assessment of your interest in innovation and entrepreneurship. This letter should not exceed two
- A letter of recommendation and support from the chair of your department. This letter should not exceed one page.
Proposals should be typed, single spaced with 0.5-inch margins. Acceptable fonts are Arial, Tahoma, or Calibri with a font size of 11pt. Please use appropriate headings in preparing your proposal. ALL application documents must be merged into a single PDF file.
The application submission due date is 5 p.m. on March 15, 2021. Applications should be emailed to Pamela Kahler.
Application Review Process and Criteria
Proposals will be reviewed by the HSIE Program co-Directors and members of the Executive Committee.
If you have any questions regarding this RFA, please contact Pamela Kahler
Program Manager, HSIE Postdoctoral Training Program
UAMS Translational Research Institute