The Research Fundamentals Seminar Series is a new program which seeks to coordinate, combine, and consolidate research training curriculum and offerings across UAMS. UAMS has several junior faculty training opportunities (KL2, COBRES, T32, HSIE, TL1, etc.) that each have their own seminar series and required curricula. While each program has unique requirements, there are also fundamental topics covered in each that could apply to a wide variety of junior faculty. In an effort to eliminate duplication of efforts and increase the educational experience of scholars, TRI is launching the Research Fundamentals Seminar Series.
Research Fundamentals will focus on core concepts related to three categories: scientific career development, grant writing and management, and leadership. Subjects covered under each of these categories include but are not limited to the following:
Scientific Career Development
• Researcher toolkit –overview of institutional core resources and support services
• The individual development plan (IDP)
• Being an effective mentee
• Time management and prioritization
• Transitions in mentorship: from mentee to mentor
• Academic presentation skills
• Communicating with program officers
• Responsible conduct of research
• Research ethics—case discussions
Grant Writing and Management
• Identifying funding agencies and opportunities
• Writing effective specific aims
• Essentials of career development awards
• Developing budgets and budget justifications
• Understanding NIH peer review
• Preaward and postaward compliant grants management
• Leading from self—management styles and conflict resolution approaches
• Negotiation essentials— asking for what you need
• Foundations of collaboration– characteristics of teams, key behaviors that support collaboration
• Collaboration–accountability, building high-performance teams, relationship management, giving and receiving feedback, thriving in diverse work environments
Research Fundamentals Seminars are generally be held on the first Fridays of each month (check each seminar announcement to confirm the date) from noon to 1:00 (no January, June or July).
For more information, please contact Chrissie Barnes.
View Our September Seminar
Mentoring for Career Development
Linda Larson-Prior, Ph.D.