December 19, 2019

TRI Employee Spotlight – Jonathan Young

What is your role at TRI?

I work with the Clinical Trials Innovation Unit’s finance and regulatory teams as director of Research Administration. We provide support to investigators conducting non-oncology research throughout their projects. Our work includes building budgets in CLARA, providing coverage analyses, completing study start-up requirements, IRB submissions, and continued support

Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young

throughout the study. We work closely with investigators on several grant funded projects, but our main workload is with industry sponsored clinical trials. Our teams have diverse experience and knowledge of research processes, so we are a good resource for researchers across campus.

What do you like best about your job?

A lot of time and energy goes into the start-up process, so it’s very satisfying to see a study get to the point of enrollment. We work with a wide range of departments, and I enjoy seeing the many different types of studies come through. There is always something new to learn and processes to be refined to better our efficiency. Since joining TRI, I have had the pleasure of watching our teams grow while increasing the number of studies and investigators we support. I can’t say enough about the individuals I work with. They are great people doing great things.

What is your proudest moment at TRI?

I don’t think any one of my “proud moments” is better than the other, so I’ll give you a few. There have been many “aha!” moments. I’ve learned a lot since coming to TRI and anytime something clicks is a proud moment for me. Other proud moments include passing the SOCRA exam to become a Certified Clinical Research Professional, getting the desired outcome from studies our teams have worked on, and developing good relationships with our investigators. Maybe the proudest of moments come from watching my team members grow and learn. I love seeing someone’s “aha” moment, especially when I’m the one that helps them get there.

Do you have a favorite quote?

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” – Hunter S. Thompson

People would be surprised if they knew:

Since I started counting, I have run over 13,000 miles – that’s over half the circumference of the earth! This includes 125 marathons/ultra-marathons in all but 4 of the states. The most I’ve run at one time was 71 miles. I’ve chilled out a bit over the last few years though.